What is IVF Success Rate ? If one opts for IVF for the first time; the most important thing to know is the success rate of an IVF procedure. Around the world it varies from 35% to 40%. While in some developed countries like Spain; it hovers around the upper limit; it...
Having a baby is, for the most part, a natural procedure. Women who have carried a full-term pregnancy to term usually go into labor around the time of Baby delivery and have a healthy baby. After a few days in the hospital, they go home to start a new chapter in their lives with a growing family. However, not many pregnancies go without hiccups. Doctors classify certain pregnancies as high-risk pregnancies.
In High-risk pregnancies, a woman, a baby, or both are at risk due to possible problems. An expert needs to handle high-risk pregnancies to guarantee the best result for both the mother and baby.
Everything You Need To Know About High-Risk Pregnancy
What is a High-risk Pregnancy?High-risk pregnancies involve risk for a mother, baby or both. It is difficult to tell which pregnancies are high risk since there are no specific standards in place. Certain factors may increase the risk of a miscarriage for either the mother or the fetus. These obstetric problems may occur in three types: before conception, during conception, and those affecting the developing fetus after the mother is pregnant.
Medical Conditions that can lead to High-risk PregnancySome medical conditions before and during pregnancy can make it a high-risk pregnancy. However, not all women with these illnesses come at a risk. Some of these health problems are:
- Diabetes: During pre-conception counseling your doctor asks you about any medical problems. If you have diabetes before pregnancy, you will require proper care, checkups and medications.
- Pre-eclampsia: Pre-eclampsia is a pregnancy-specific disease marked by elevated blood pressure, protein in the urine, and edoema (swelling of the skin). Pre-eclampsia may be accompanied by liver or platelet problems in some women. If your condition is severe, your doctor may refer you to a maternal-fetal medicine expert.
Pre-eclampsia can only be treated by giving birth to your child. In other words, this is a situation in which careful monitoring is required to strike a balance between the risks of maternal problems and the benefits of an early delivery.
- Hypertension: There may be an increased chance of complications if you have high blood pressure before becoming pregnant. Certain hypertension medicines are safe to use outside of pregnancy but severe when taken during pregnancy. Consult your doctor before taking any medicines.
- Multiples: Complications are more likely in pregnancies that include twins or higher-order multiples. Pre-eclampsia and premature labor are more common in women who have had multiple pregnancies. Familial abnormalities and growth issues are more common in twin pregnancies, particularly if the placenta is shared.
- If you’re expecting more than one child, your doctor will do extra ultrasounds to keep an eye on your progress. The expert in maternal-fetal medicine will provide recommendations on how and when to deliver your children. So long as everything is going well, you may keep seeing your Ob/Gyn or opt for multiple clinics if everything is good and without issues.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): Some women may have an STD or develop it during pregnancy. Medical professionals who specialize in maternal-fetal medicine will take extra care of your unborn child. HIV drug regimens are so complicated, most women with HIV get care from maternal-fetal medicine experts.
- Obesity: Obese women are more likely to suffer from gestational diabetes, hypertension, and pre-eclampsia. A woman’s weight is one of the few health problems that need to be addressed before pregnancy. For this reason, medical experts urge expectant mothers to make healthy lifestyle changes such as cutting down on sugar and fat intake, etc.
When to See a Doctor?
You should visit a doctor if you have a pre-existing medical issue, developed a medical condition during pregnancy, or are experiencing difficulties after delivery. Specialist doctors that manage high-risk pregnancies are called perinatologists/maternal-fetal medicine experts.
A maternal-fetal medicine expert will work with a pediatric care team to manage your health during and after pregnancy.
Consult a perinatologist if your pregnancy is deemed high-risk. To provide the best possible care for you and your baby, he will collaborate with your other physicians, nurses, and other health care providers as needed.
If you have any such medical issues during pregnancy, consult a specialist. You can book an appointment to talk to our experts.
What Patient has to say about us
People heavily rely on reviews from other patients when choosing a healthcare provider
We had an excellent experience at Oyster & Pearl hospital. We were here for emergency baby delivery and after that NICU for baby. Both deliveries for the mother and NICU for the kid were so delicately taken care of that by god's grace everything went well. Dr. Amita, Dr. Nivedita, Resident doctor staff, nursing staff, administration (Akash), cashless facility (TPA) dept everyone's efforts are well appreciated! Recommended.
Best paediatric hospital in Pune. Dr Amita Phadnis is the best paediatric doctor in Pune. The entire staff is the best and supportive. Also, sister Merry is very polite and supportive. Thank you.
Best Maternity hospital around the corner for Pimple Saudagar and nearby residents. Superb management and helpful staff always available for our service. Easy admission and discharge with well experienced staff. Highly recommended!!
ONP Rahatani, is an excellent hospital in Pimple Saudagar. Went there for my delivery. Doctors are really humble and ready to resolve all doubts. Staff is very polite and cooperative. Admin support was exceptional in all matters from the date of admission to discharge. The atmosphere of hospital was fresh, clean and positive. Hospital was well organised and everyone working in the hospital treats its patients with respect and dignity. highly recommend this hospital.
ONP Leela hospital is best gynecology hospital in pimple saudagar, hospital is well organized and treats patients with dignity and respect. The staff is warm and caring. I would recommend this to all those in need of treatment.
I am very happy with the services provided by ONP hospitals best IVF and Maternity hospital. I am also thankful to all the doctors and staff members who supported us throughout the entire process. Special thanks to Dr. Avinash for guidance and encouragement.
Dr Abhijeet Wahegaonkar is a God in orthopaedics with an excellent team ! ONP had Superb management with a caring approach. From admission till discharge, fantastic service.
Took vaccine here on 7th June. Everything is well managed and the staff is also good. Enough two wheeler parking space. The whole process of vaccination took 45 mins. Thank you team.
It is the best IVF hospital in Pune. All the staff are very polite. Food quality is very good. Feeling happy and satisfied. Good service. Thank you so much to every doctor and every nurse.
The services and hospitality are appreciated. The nurses were available on call and very cooperative.Overall satisfied with the food quality, environment and services. Thank you.
What is IVF Success Rate ? If one opts for IVF for the first time; the most important thing to know is the success rate of an IVF procedure. Around the world it varies from 35%...
As we all know that Indian festivals are incomplete without sweets and it is a common for to all of us to get stressed and confused about - “should we eat” or “ not or how much...
An annual checkup is important for your whole health. Even if you’re feeling healthy and tempted to skip this year’s exam, a checkup provides an opportunity for you to connect...
Breast cancer is cancer that forms in breast cells. Women are mostly diagnosed with this cancer. Although it can be seen in both men and women
The granulosa cells in your ovarian follicles create the anti-Mullerian hormone, often known as AMH. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the generation of AMH is a reflection of your ovarian reserve.
When you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then you should be aware that migraine headaches are a normal part of the journey. Pregnant women might feel headaches owing to...
While orthopaedic problems are commonly seen in and associated with the elderly, it’s important to be alert regarding the fact that they can afflict young people and children as well.
Most science students have to study about reproduction in their high school syllabus, and some learn from their parents, who may discuss it even earlier. It’s a very good thing to know about our own bodies…