Blog- 7 – Pregnacy
At Oyster & Pearl, we endeavor to make the 9 months during a woman’s pregnancy, as also her post delivery period, absolute worry free and comfortable. Pregnancy and childbirth are phases in a woman’s life requiring utmost care and safety. We endeavor to propagate safe pregnancy care and childbirth for every couple. As promoters of the natural delivery process, we strongly emphasize on antenatal care for the couple as well.
Throughout the duration of a normal pregnancy, we strongly emphasize on antenatal care for couples. As a part of this antenatal care system, following are the things that we do for pregnant women:
- Regular checkups by qualified gynecologists.
- Regular ultrasonography (USG) in the first trimester – USG performed using one of the best sonography machines available in the market by our competent radiologists.
- Routine blood investigations at our in-house laboratory.
- Anomaly scan and triple test to rule out abnormalities at 16 weeks.
- Regular USG scan in the third trimester.
- NST – Non Stress Test is preformed 35 weeks onwards to ensure fetal well-being. Portable and take-home NST machines can be used to monitor fetal well being at home.
- Participation and interaction with Oyster & Pearl obstetricians, pediatricians, diet and exercise counselors, lactation consultants and nursing staff on a regular basis is a part of our antenatal program.
RESOURCES FOR A SMOOTH DELIVERY:
We ensure that a mother gets utmost care during pregnancy and labour. Here is a list of our resources enabling to help you prepare for everything, from conception to delivery and beyond.
- Qualified, trained and experienced doctors and nurses monitor the patient closely during labour
Expert doctors attend to the patient 24 × 7.
- A state-of-the-art labour waiting area with NST machine and monitors, for measuring parameters like BP and oxygen saturation.
- An international class labour room and operation theatre that stands next to the labour room.
- An anesthetist available 24*7, should patients need epidural analgesia on an emergency Caesarean section
- A comfortable waiting area next to the labour waiting room so as to put the husband/attendant at ease
High-tech neonatal care unit to ensure immediate care for the newborn.
- The neonatologist available 24×7 for all deliveries.
Well-appointed recovery area for patients, post delivery.
- Delivery attendance by a pediatrician.
A PAINLESS DELIVERY IS POSSIBLE
Today, painless delivery is being chosen widely by women and doctors alike. Our hospital, with its state-of-the-art technology and skilled doctors supports this procedure through epidural analgesia, interim pain-relief medications and specific breathing techniques. Through this safe procedure practiced around the world, you get to experience the joy of having a baby without being exhausted by labour pains.
HIGH RISK PREGNANCY
Not all pregnancies go smoothly. Some women go through what doctors refer to as high-risk pregnancies. A pregnancy is considered high risk when there are potential complications that could hamper the health of the mother, the baby or both. These pregnancies are not impossible but just require management by specialists to ensure that both the mother and the baby have the best outcome. Oyster & Pearl is the most trusted name in woman and child care for ‘critical care’ high-risk pregnancies. An obstetric intensive care unit along with the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) ensures that the mother and the child are equally taken care of. Reasons that the pregnancy may be considered a high-risk one include:
- Maternal age
- Medical conditions of the mother before getting pregnant
- Medical conditions that occur during pregnancy
- Pregnancy-related issues
- Genetic disorders
However, with our competent team of gynecologists and 59 years of experience in this industry, we make high-risk pregnancies possible and safe to the utmost possible extent.
At O & P, a Caesarean section is advised only when natural delivery might pose a risk to the mother or baby. This could be due to a number of reasons such as:
- Prolonged labour
- Fetal or maternal distress
- Uterine rupture
- Cord prolapse
- Failed induction of labour
- And many such other probable causes
While performing a caesarean section, we prefer to administer a spinal anesthesia over a general anesthesia as this avoids sedation of the newborn and keeps the mother fresh and alert to receive her baby. Pain relief after the Caesarean makes the pain bearable. With advanced technology, you can still have a ‘natural’ second delivery if the situation so allows. It is no more a case of ‘Once a Caesarean, always a Caesarean’.
Obstetric and Medical I.C.U.
We have a dedicated and strategically placed Obstetric ICU for enabling high-risk pregnancy management. The dedicated ICU care will not only save the lives of mothers at risk but will also help save the lives of unborn babies, thus contributing to the reduction in India’s neonatal mortality rate. This state-of-the-art 14-bedded Medical and 7-bedded Surgical I.C.U. with 360 degree observation from the central station includes:
- Latest critical care gadgets.
- In-Utero Transport for mothers likely to deliver premature babies.
- Every bed equipped with multi parameter patient monitoring system and alpha mattresses to prevent bed sores.
- Central medical gas pipeline.
- Latest servo-I ventilators, infusion devices, and invasive pressure monitors.
- Facilities for portable USG 2D Echo, Hemodialysis, US-guided central line placement, Bronchoscopy etc
- 24*7 support of a Path lab, Radiology, Physiotherapists, Deticians, Bio-medical engineers, intensivists, registrars, well-trained nurses etc for complete patient care.
POST DELIVERY CARE
Pregnancy changes your body in more ways than one, and it doesn’t stop when the baby is born. Taking good care of yourself and knowing what to expect after delivery is essential. Therefore, we offer multiple services to help you and your baby transit into this new phase of your life. We have well-appointed rooms with privacy for breastfeeding, lactation consultants to help the new mother, a diet plan suitable to a woman who has just delivered and counseling on diet, exercise, muscle toning, contraception and parenting.
To us you are not just yet another woman having a baby. We understand your anxieties and worries and equip you through and through to take care of your newborn baby and yourself after the delivery.