What is IVF Success Rate ? If one opts for IVF for the first time; the most important thing to know is the success rate of an IVF procedure. Around the world it varies from 35% to 40%. While in some developed countries like Spain; it hovers around the upper limit; it...
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is an advanced reproductive technique that aids infertility, genetic issues, and childbirth.
In IVF, mature eggs are removed from the ovaries and fertilized in the lab. The fertilized egg (embryo) is then transferred to a uterus. IVF takes roughly three weeks to complete. These processes may be divided into portions, making the procedure lengthier.
IVF is the most successful type of assisted reproductive technology (ART). It can be done using a couple’s eggs and sperm is possible or using known or unknown donors’ eggs, sperm, or embryos.
IVF success rates depend on numerous variables, including age and the reason for infertility. Your doctor can explain how IVF works, the dangers, and if this treatment is good for you.
Everything You Need To Know About IVF
What is IVF
You must have heard of IVF or test tube babies. IVF is a method of fertilization in which we collect eggs and sperm and combine them physically in a laboratory dish. Soon, we monitor the growth for five days and transfer the embryo to the uterus.
Once the embryo implants in the woman’s uterus, the pregnancy may begin naturally. Gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT) and zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT) are two further types of ART.
Who needs IVF?
One may need IVF in the following conditions:
- Fallopian tube damage or blockage: Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes make it difficult to fertilize eggs or transfer embryos to the uterus.
- Ovulation disorders: Fewer eggs are accessible for fertilization if ovulation is irregular or missing.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis occurs when uterine lining tissue implants and develops outside the uterus, affecting the ovaries, uterus, and fallopian tubes.
- Uterine fibroids: Uterine Fibroids are uterine benign tumors that are common in women who are in their 30s and 40s. Fibroids may obstruct the implantation of the sperm.
- Previous tubal sterilization or removal: Tubal ligation is a method of sterilization that permanently blocks the fallopian tubes. If you want to become pregnant after tubal ligation, IVF is an option.
- Impaired sperm production or function: Poor sperm concentration, motility, or size and shape might make it difficult for sperm to fertilize an egg. A visit to an infertility expert may be required if abnormalities in the sperm are discovered.
- Unexplained infertility: Unexplained infertility implies no reason has been discovered despite typical factors being evaluated.
- A genetic disorder: You or your spouse may be eligible for preimplantation genetic testing, which entails IVF. After fertilization, the eggs are checked for genetic defects, albeit not all defects are identified. Embryos with no known issues may be transplanted to the uterus.
Process of IVF
The IVF and embryo transfer procedure involves five distinct parts. These are:
- Step 1: Doctors prescribe fertility drugs to encourage egg production. After retrieval, some eggs will not mature or fertilize, therefore having a large number of eggs is good. The ovaries are examined with a transvaginal ultrasound, and blood is drawn to measure hormone levels.
- Step 2: A hollow needle is inserted into the pelvic cavity to extract the eggs during a small surgical operation guided by ultrasound imaging. Medication is given to alleviate any pain that may arise.
- Step 3: A sample of sperm from the man is requested, and this sperm is prepared for mixing with the egg.
- Step 4: Sperm and eggs are combined in a laboratory dish during insemination to promote conception. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) may be utilized in situations when fertilization is less likely than usual. A single sperm is inserted directly into the egg during this technique to fertilize it. Fertilization and cell division are confirmed by monitoring the eggs. Embryos are defined as the developing cells within fertilized eggs.
- Step 5: Following the egg harvesting and fertilization, the embryos are normally transferred to the woman’s uterus three to five days later. Transplantation of embryos is performed by inserting a catheter or tiny tube into the uterus. While some women may have moderate cramping after the surgery, it’s usually harmless for most. After egg retrieval, implantation usually takes six to ten days if everything goes well.
The Success Rate of IVF
The success rate varies on variables including reproductive history, age, infertility, etiology, and lifestyle. Also, pregnancy rates are not the same as live birth rates. No matter what you do, the average success rate of an IVF procedure remains 30-40%.
If you are facing difficulties in conceiving naturally, IVF can be a rescue. Many couples have become parents after choosing IVF treatment. Consult your doctor if you have any questions regarding your chances of becoming pregnant. You can book an appointment and talk to our experts.
What Patient has to say about us
People heavily rely on reviews from other patients when choosing a healthcare provider
We had an excellent experience at Oyster & Pearl hospital. We were here for emergency baby delivery and after that NICU for baby. Both deliveries for the mother and NICU for the kid were so delicately taken care of that by god's grace everything went well. Dr. Amita, Dr. Nivedita, Resident doctor staff, nursing staff, administration (Akash), cashless facility (TPA) dept everyone's efforts are well appreciated! Recommended.
Best paediatric hospital in Pune. Dr Amita Phadnis is the best paediatric doctor in Pune. The entire staff is the best and supportive. Also, sister Merry is very polite and supportive. Thank you.
Best Maternity hospital around the corner for Pimple Saudagar and nearby residents. Superb management and helpful staff always available for our service. Easy admission and discharge with well experienced staff. Highly recommended!!
ONP Rahatani, is an excellent hospital in Pimple Saudagar. Went there for my delivery. Doctors are really humble and ready to resolve all doubts. Staff is very polite and cooperative. Admin support was exceptional in all matters from the date of admission to discharge. The atmosphere of hospital was fresh, clean and positive. Hospital was well organised and everyone working in the hospital treats its patients with respect and dignity. highly recommend this hospital.
ONP Leela hospital is best gynecology hospital in pimple saudagar, hospital is well organized and treats patients with dignity and respect. The staff is warm and caring. I would recommend this to all those in need of treatment.
I am very happy with the services provided by ONP hospitals best IVF and Maternity hospital. I am also thankful to all the doctors and staff members who supported us throughout the entire process. Special thanks to Dr. Avinash for guidance and encouragement.
Dr Abhijeet Wahegaonkar is a God in orthopaedics with an excellent team ! ONP had Superb management with a caring approach. From admission till discharge, fantastic service.
Took vaccine here on 7th June. Everything is well managed and the staff is also good. Enough two wheeler parking space. The whole process of vaccination took 45 mins. Thank you team.
It is the best IVF hospital in Pune. All the staff are very polite. Food quality is very good. Feeling happy and satisfied. Good service. Thank you so much to every doctor and every nurse.
The services and hospitality are appreciated. The nurses were available on call and very cooperative.Overall satisfied with the food quality, environment and services. Thank you.
What is IVF Success Rate ? If one opts for IVF for the first time; the most important thing to know is the success rate of an IVF procedure. Around the world it varies from 35%...
As we all know that Indian festivals are incomplete without sweets and it is a common for to all of us to get stressed and confused about - “should we eat” or “ not or how much...
An annual checkup is important for your whole health. Even if you’re feeling healthy and tempted to skip this year’s exam, a checkup provides an opportunity for you to connect...
Breast cancer is cancer that forms in breast cells. Women are mostly diagnosed with this cancer. Although it can be seen in both men and women
The granulosa cells in your ovarian follicles create the anti-Mullerian hormone, often known as AMH. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the generation of AMH is a reflection of your ovarian reserve.
When you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then you should be aware that migraine headaches are a normal part of the journey. Pregnant women might feel headaches owing to...
While orthopaedic problems are commonly seen in and associated with the elderly, it’s important to be alert regarding the fact that they can afflict young people and children as well.
Most science students have to study about reproduction in their high school syllabus, and some learn from their parents, who may discuss it even earlier. It’s a very good thing to know about our own bodies…